by Crystal Caudill
KCWC was one of those life-changing events for me, and I know God is planning to change lives in this upcoming conference… maybe even the lives of a few teens.
Do you know a teenager who has a dream to be a published author, a passion for writing fiction, or even just a curiosity?
I would love it if you would reach out to them and invite them to attend the Kentucky Christian Writer’s Conference Teen Seminar on June 22. (Registration deadline is June 21 so there’s still plenty of time!)
This seminar mixes lecture with interactive methods to make the learning engaging and personally applicable. Lunch is provided.
What they will learn:
- The major genre categories: what they are, what elements fit into that category, average word count
- What are the various lengths of story types (flash fiction, short story, novella, novel)
- How to make stories believable
- How to make characters relatable using Goal, Motivation, and Conflict
- Why it’s important to know why you write
- What are the various plot layers and their characteristics: External, Internal, Romance, and Subplot
- What is story structure
- What are the three act and four act structures
- What elements are included in each act
- The meaning of important writing jargon terms
What they will do:
– Use M&M’s to create fun characters and character problems that we will take through the process of plotting a rough external outline using the four act structure.
What they will leave with:
- A glossary of industry terms, abbreviations, and writing jargon
- Notes from the class (provided by me so you don’t miss anything important)
- A list of suggested writing craft books, writing organizations, and online resources
- Connections to other teen writers
If that isn’t enough, KCWC has also invited the teens to stay until the closing which provides them with another workshop choice AND the opportunity to hear our keynote speaker, the amazing Susan May Warren. The whole day is only $50 for those 13-17!
So if you know a teenager, even if you’re not sure if they are interested, invite them to attend the KCWC Teen Seminar. You never know who God is calling to write for His glory.
Registration deadline is June 21st. Visit https://kychristianwriters.com/teen-seminar for more information and the schedule!
Crystal Caudill is an educator, award-winning author, and a member of ACFW, RWA, and Novel.Academy. For her, teaching the next generation of authors is a privilege and a passion.